Monday, March 31, 2008

Ah the Monday after spring, the quiet, the calm, the wonderfulness of it all. Aislinn was fussy a bit this morning, but that is to be expected. She has been staying up until like two am. That girl needs like 20 minutes of sleep a day. It's crazy! She walked around with bags under her eyes this whole week. I don't know how many times I was ready for bed, and I was like "Seriously, you HAVE to go to bed, you're brother will be up in like 2 hours, and I am going to be exhausted" I like to stay up late, but I usually only do it so that I can have some alone time, I found I was going to bed much earlier if she was still awake.

Having her home has been fun though. First of all, it's awesome because she has friends at home, and so I didn't get the usual "I'm bored!" thing. She was up and out the door at like 11 everyday with her friends. They'd run in and out, and ride bikes, and have a good ole time. Although by Saturday I was pretty fucking sick of it all, and was ecstatic that it rained yesterday. Although, the girl down the street WAS outside. Her parents are strange. They say they are strict but they let her do pretty much whatever they want it seems.

When she was home, that's when the magic happens. That's when she and her brother hang out, and that is usually good for a laugh. Although she is sporting two bruises on her neck where it looks like teeny tiny grubby fingers tried to strangle her. When she went to school today I told her that if anyone asks, you make sure to say your brother did it so that the school doesn't think your parents strangle you when they get mad. She said "You aren't that kind of parent!" which sounded weird like "You're not really a strangling parent, more of a push us down the stairs and then laugh kind of parent" I asked her what kind of parent I was then, and she said simple "A good parent" which made me feel all warm and gooey on the inside. As she was walking out the door she said "I didn't even complain about my shoes" (they were still damp) and I said "No you didn't, but by saying that, you ruined it", in a joking way, and she just said "Ugh!" and walked away laughing.

Now that she is eight, she is so different. I mean, yes she is still a kid, but it's like she's teetering toward tween-hood, and life has been so much simpler. We had one dramatic fit this week, and it was solved by sending her to her room where she promptly fell asleep and took a two hour nap.

No comments: