Friday, December 21, 2007

Ew. Is there anything worse than questionable meat? I pulled pork chops out for dinner, and once I opened them to get started... they smelled weird. I don't know if its just a general weird meat smell, or a start the Christmas holiday off with ass piss kind of smell, so I just chucked it just to be safe. So, now I'm sitting here waiting for the chicken to defrost so I can make chicken fingers. I could go the healthy route and do a chicken and broccoli stir fry, but fuck it, it's cold and I need umami* damn it.

Tony is currently playing Wii, and I'm trying REALLY hard not to tear the controller from his hands. We both got new games yesterday. Both of them extremely involved and addicting. I let him play since I had like shit to do. The house hadn't been picked up yesterday from all the game fun, so I had to get that done today.

I'm finding it oddly easier to pick up THIS house than the old house. The only reason I can think of is that 1. Bedrooms are UPSTAIRS. So none of the bedroom mess gets spilled over into the other parts of the living areas. 2. This house is a lot smaller, so when it gets messy it's much more noticeable, and 3. I've been mommy bad ass with the rules, and keeping the kids from tearing everything up. It's been nice.

Yesterday, the kids (and Tony) got to spend their gift cards at Wal-Mart from my sister yesterday. Jonny went the "Buy one big toy" route and Aislinn went the "How much CRAP can $20 buy me?" Which I was pretty sure was going to happen. She had fun though, so that's all that matters. My sister even told me I couldn't tell her she couldn't get stuff. She had to buy whatever her little heart desired, even if it is all junky and already lost.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami

Umami is one of the proposed five basic tastes sensed by specialized receptor cells present on the human tongue.[1] The same taste is also known as xiānwèi (traditional Chinese: 鮮味; simplified Chinese: 鲜味) in Chinese cooking. Umami is a Japanese word meaning "savory" or "meaty" and thus applies to the sensation of savoriness—specifically, to the detection of glutamates, which are especially common in meats, cheese and other protein-heavy foods. The action of umami receptors explains why foods treated with monosodium glutamate (MSG) often taste "fuller".

No comments: